Friday, November 23, 2012

UNICEF scales-up response, calls for stronger combat against child malnutrition in Rakhine State

Rakhine State, MYANMAR, 23 November 2012 - While precise information about nutrition levels in Myanmar’s Rakhine State is still difficult to obtain, UNICEF is very concerned about the extent and severity of child malnutrition, which has been exacerbated by the ongoing conflict.

 
Child nutrition levels were not good prior to the outbreak of the Rakhine conflict in June, and subsequent population displacement and the security situation has hampered access to affected children.
 
UNICEF is scaling up its ongoing efforts to reach children across ethnic lines in need with life-saving nutrition interventions.
 
“We are working with the government and other partners for unabated access and for additional funding to address the key issue of child malnutrition in the Rakhine state to reverse the risk faced by the children affected by conflict,” said UNICEF Representative Bertrand Bainvel.
 
On 20 November, the UN Humanitarian Coordinator in Myanmar has launched an additional US$41 million Revised Response Plan for Rakhine. The Revised Plan will support urgent humanitarian aid to 115,000 internally displaced persons, living in camps with little or no access to basic services, up till June 2013.
 
A joint rapid nutrition assessment, carried out in Sittwe in early July indicated a 23.4 per cent prevalence of Global and 7.5 per cent of Severe Acute Malnutrition in the locations where displaced people are congregated.  Findings indicated that some 2,000 acutely malnourished children were facing a high risk of mortality, with 650 of these children in a severe condition and in urgent need of therapeutic feeding, and an additional nearly 9,000 children in need of micronutrient supplements.  A further 2,500 children were likely to develop acute malnutrition if adequate food, healthcare and water and sanitation was not provided.
 
UNICEF has been working with the Government and partners to examine the nutritional status of children in Sittwe, both to confirm the initial estimates of the severity of the situation and to ensure that those in need receive help as a matter of priority. In late October, of 4,066 children examined using the Middle and Upper Arm Circumference (MUAC) measurement screening method, 413 were found to be severely acute malnourished and 649 moderately malnourished.  All these children were treated but they require ongoing nutritional support and UNICEF expects there are more children in similar situations that have not yet been identified and reached.
 
In response to the situation, UNICEF, through the State Health Department, provided Ready-to-Use Therapeutic Food (RUTF) and supplementary food for 6-59 months old children along with micronutrient supplements and continued to promote young child feeding practices including breastfeeding and complementary feeding.
 
At the point when the second outbreak of unrest broke out in Rakhine in October, expert estimates suggested around 2,900 acutely malnourished children were at high risk of mortality; 930 of these children were in severe condition that required therapeutic feeding and some 2000 children were suffering from Moderate Acute Malnutrition and in need of supplementary feeding.  A further 12,000 children aged 6-59 months old and some 5,400 pregnant and lactating women were in need of micronutrient supplementation. Some challenges in terms of access still exist, with 29 per cent of IDP population still unreachable by partners as of October.
 
More resources are urgently needed to continue and strengthen the nutrition response including for assessments, case identification, referral, monitoring and surveillance. Therapeutic feeding must be provided urgently to save the lives of 930 severely acute malnourished children identified thus far and urgent supplementary feeding is needed for the 2,000 moderately malnourished children is essential to stop them from falling into severe acute malnutrition. Micronutrient supplement must be provided to a further 5,400 pregnant and lactating women and 12,400 under-five children to avoid serious malnutrition deficiency and the risk of consequent mortality.
 
The various organizations working to provide nutrition aid estimate that to respond to the need of a total of 115,000 IDPs for one year, total funding of some US$1.28 million is required . With around $400,000 already secured by partners, the immediate nutrition funding gap is $880,000.
 
Over the past decades UNICEF adopted a community-based nutrition intervention approach to address persistent child malnutrition in Rakhine, the second poorest state in Myanmar, in the host communities as well as in the displaced population. The already vulnerable situation was exacerbated by ethnic conflict that started in June this year.
 
UNICEF is committed to supporting the health, education, protection rights and prospects of all children in Rakhine State and across Myanmar, based on its humanitarian principles of neutrality and impartiality.
 
About UNICEF
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to help children survive and thrive, from early childhood through adolescence. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments. For more information about UNICEF and its work visit: www.unicef.org
 
For more information, please contact:
Zafrin Chowdhury, Chief of Communication, UNICEF Myanmar,
Tel + 95 1 375527 32
zchowdhury@unicef.org
Kate Donovan, UNICEF Media,
Tel + 1 212 326 7452
kdonovan@unicef.org

6 comments:

  1. micheal Wilcot is my name. Brothers and Sisters this is my story. I have been married for over 6 years and my wife was unable to have a child, the doctor says she have issues with her womb, so she undergo several treatments, but none worked for her. I was about going for adoption. But few years ago I meant with someone who introduced me to a herbal doctor by name doctor chukwu, she said the herbal doctor helped her friend with herbal medicine and her friend could conceive and have a child, so she advised us to try the herbal way. This is a thing I have never thought of in my life because I have never used any herbal medicine since I was given birth to. But we decided to key in and try the herbal doctor remedy. So I contacted him, his name is Doctor chukwu I told him that my wife was unable to conceive and bear a child. So he told me he have the herbs he will give to us, that we will take it according as directed so we agreed, we made necessary arrangement and he prepared the herbs for us and send it to us in my country USA, and we started to take it. I took it for some time, and he advised me on time to have sex with my wife so we continue and was doing according to his direction. Behold to cut the story short she took in, and she conceive and bear a child. Today I can boldly say we are happy. I could get a child with the help of Doctor chukwu herbs, and am very grateful to him, and to God. Please if you are out there and you are thinking of adopting a child just because the doctor said to you that you cannot have your own child, I want to say no, don’t adopt any child just contact doctor chukwu, and let him give you his herbal medicine that will open up your womb. And I assure you in no time you will have your own baby. His contact details are email (drchukwu22@gmail.com) and his phone number is (+2348154800222).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallo mein Name ist Peggy Zuschauer Albert aus Australien ... Ich schreibe diesen Artikel die große Ofemo für seine enorme Arbeit für mich durch seine Kräutermedizin getan danken, sechs Jahre zurück, um mich und mein Mann war von HIV / AIDS-Virus diagnostiziert, aber alles Turnaround war, als ich Dr. Ofemo wissen cam mich und meinen Mann Gesundheit selbst ein freies Baby geboren zu mögen war wieder hergestellt zurück, sah ich Menschen zu bezeugen, wie Dr. Ofemo hat ihre HIV-Virus auf dem Internet zu heilen, so entschied ich mich, und ich Kontakt mit seiner E-Mail : drofemospelltemple@yahoo.com ich ihm genau gesagt, wie mein Körper und mein Mann mich jeden einzelnen Tag war schmerzend, sagte mir, er mehr, skeptisch zu sein nicht, que me und mein Mann einmal völlig geheilt werden müssen, wenn wir mit seinem Kräutermedizin beginnen ich vertraue seine Worte in seinem Kräuterbehandlung zu glauben, die er mir versichert hat mein Mann geheilt werden wird, nachdem er das Medikament für mich vorbereitet hat, schickte er die Kräutermedizin zu mir, innerhalb von zwei Wochen Anwendung meinen Mann und mich völlig geheilt wurde von HIV / AID, war es wie ein Wunder, wenn wir völlig zu heilen, so mein verehrter Zuschauer Ich glaube, er nur für Sie das gleiche tun in-Fall, dass Sie durch diese gleiche disease..HERPES sind vorbei, Hepatitis B, Krebs. wenden Sie sich einfach Dr Ofemo auf seine per E-Mail: drofemospelltemple@gmail.com oder WhatsApp seiner Zelle Nummer +2348163387496

    ReplyDelete
  3. WE WELCOME YOU ALL TO DEVANSH HERBAL HEALTH CARE.
    We have Quality Rick Simpson Cannabis oil and all types of cancer cure, insomnia,fibroid,Diabetes,schizophrenia,back pain,we also have the herbs that reduces stress and other illness. We are selling our products at very negotiable and workable prices. Apart from our very magnificent prices, when you buy from us, you are assured of the highest quality and purity available in the market,and we are 100% sure of our product, with a guaranteed discreet courier shipping or a special 24 hours confidential overnight delivery of the product to your address. We respect and value your privacy and will dont share your information with anyone. We offer discreet and Reliable packaging and delivery. -Fast and reliable shipment within 24hours within the US and 48 hours internationally, using courier service. Call or Text::::: +1936-2283-155, Email: devanshherbalheathcare@gmail.com for more information

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm Dorothy Saltzman, From Texas, USA. but curently Reside in Germany. It's no longer Rumors that the Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome ALS And Herpes Virus is increasing Day by Day. The fear is that many people living with the sickness are scared of saying it because of the stigma that comes along with it. I 'm bold enough among many others to state that there is now a Potent Cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with ALS virus 3months Ago, After a Herbal Medical Check-Up. My Doctor EHI, told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my World has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the Announcement of my Medical Practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my Medications (as there was no Medically known Cure to Herpes). I went from Churches to Churches but soon found that my Case needed urgent Attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my Predicament, I sought for solutions from the Voodoo World. I went online and searched for every Powerful Trad-medical Practitioner that I could Severe, cos I heard that the African Voodoo Priests had a cure to the Herpes Syndrome. It was after a little time searching the Web that I came across one Dr EHI (A Powerful African Voodoo Priest), Who offered to help me at a Monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my Final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan Fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his Instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my Amazement, the Results showed that " I am NEGATIVE". You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Voodoo Priest via this e-mail:(drehicurehome123@gmail.com) or call and whats-app him on +2349030589283 He will help you and his Herbal Medication is Sure. He has the Cure on all this Disease/Virus as He told me and it listed. GENITAL WARTS/ PREGNANCY. EPILEPSY. GENPILENCIN, HIV/AIDS, MADNESS, WEAK ERECTION, WATERY SPERM, TUBERCULOUSES, PENIS ENLARGEMENT, PREGNANCY, DIABETICS, STROKE, EXPANDS OF PENIS BREAST H.P.V TYPE 1 TYPE 2 TYPE 3 AND TYPE 4. TYPE 5, HUMAN PAPAILOMA VIRUS, HERPES, SYPHILIS, BREAST CANCER, HEPATITIS A B and C, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, AND BODY BOILS, BODY ODDUR, AND BODY DISEASES , THANK TO YOU ALL FOR YOUR TIME OF READING MY TESTIMONY AND MOST ESPECIALLY YOU Dr EHI. I PRAY TO GOD TO NEVER LET ME AND MY FAMILY FORGET YOU IN OUR LIFE

    Why go the Expensive Treatment? when Dr. EHI is there to help you get rid of that
    Incurable Disease with his Herbs and Healing Oil. I contracted Genital Herpes 2 years ago, I saw this Awesome Testimonies you can view on google during my research for Herpes Cure from an article made by Alexander Millin and Lancelot Morgan, How they but got Cured from HIV/HERPES VIRUS Respectively. They also dropped the Contact Address of this Great Man: drehicurehome123@gmail.com Advising that if anyone need help to Cure any Incurable Disease or Viral Infection that he should Contact This Great Man. I contacted him, thank God I did. I'm still in shock that the Herbal Treatment he sent to me actually Works. It seems so simple, and in a lots of ways I guess its simple. But the important thing is that I have been 100% herpes free for full two years now and it's all thanks to you Dr. Ehi You'hv given me my life back, I'll forever remain Grateful,. you can email me for assistant on: drehicurehome123@gmail.com. Please Once you are cured let others know about it no need hiding it. Together We fight to become healthy.
    Dr. EHI Root/Herbs and Healing-Oil has been used to cured Home and Abroad
    REVELATION22.2
    GENESIS1:29

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to let the world know about Dr uyiosa herbal cure is 100% Guarantee percent sure to cure your. HIV/AIDS ,He is only person that i can boldly say he can cure any types of Disease.i was having HIV for more than 8 year when i meant Dr uyiosa online on how he has cured so many people and how greatly he has helped many individuals online,so i contacted him and explained my situation to him and behold i was cure with his herbal medicine and now am living happily, so to anyone issue on hiv/aids challenges i advised that you contact druyiosabalogun@gmail.com he can also cure any disease such as(1) HIV/AIDS(2) HEPATITIS B,(3)DIABETICS,(4)CANCER,(5)HERPES(6)He can also bring back your ex back,(7)LOVE SPELL,(8)PENIS ENLARGEMENT(9)LYME DISEASE, He is the great herbalist man called Dr.uyiosa i must say a big thanks for curing my HIV/AIDS, i own you in return. Thanks and be blessed sir.his Mobile number+2349056708611

    ReplyDelete